Meal kits in Canada are saving people time and offering new food experiences with each box that gets delivered. Opening baskets filled with ingredients and instructions on how to create new dishes have become increasingly popular in the past decade. But with the variety of meal kit options available, which one stands out from the crowd? And since we’ve already established that meal kits don’t save you money, which one is worth your hard earned dollars to maintain this kind of lifestyle?
Let’s compare the two most popular meal kits in Canada: Goodfood and Chef’s Plate.
Right away, Goodfood alerts you to a deal: 40% off your first basket. There also seems to be an emphasis on quality ingredients and they “contribute to a nutritious meal for a child in need” for each box delivered.
Food quality and variety
● Goodfood says all ingredients are “fresh and in season, and directly sourced from partners and vendors that we trust”
● Meals that are vegetarian and gluten or dairy free are identified, along with meals that can be prepared in 20 minutes
● Goodfood separates its boxes into 3 categories: Easy Prep Basket, Classic Basket, Family Basket
○ Easy Prep: $12.50/serving ($7.50 your first order) with low carb options. Included in these baskets are “Time-saving Easy Prep recipes with precut ingredients.” Examples include fresh rigatoni with ground pork ragu and Haddock with yellow coconut curry.
○ Classic Basket: $10.83/serving ($6.50 your first order) with vegetarian options available. Included in these baskets are “Unique ingredients and recipes for a culinary adventure.” Examples include almond butter satay chicken and veggie burgers with caramelized onions, pickles and tomatoes.
○ Family Basket: $9.75/serving ($5.85 your first order). Included in these baskets are “recipes the whole family will love.” Examples include pasta caprese with balsamic glazed mini beef meatballs.
2. Chefs Plate
Chefs Plate steps it up a notch and offers 50% off your first order. Emphasis is on lower prices and Chefs Plate community of home chefs.
Meal quality and variety
● Meals are easy to cook with premeasured ingredients
● Ice packs are placed in boxes to keep food fresh
● Chefs Plate separates its boxes into 4 categories: Classic, Family, 15 Minute and Vegetarian
○ Classic: $9.99/serving ($4.99 your first order). Included in this basket are Chefs Plate “widest variety of meat, seafood, and vegetarian recipes.” Examples include Thai beef stir noodles and spicy pork sausage and pepper arrabiata.
○ Family: $8.99/serving ($3.99 your first order). Included in this basket are “healthy, easy, and kid-friendly recipes.” Examples include sweet chilli pork noodles and curried beef biryani.
○ 15 Minute: $12.95/serving ($6.50 your first order). Included in this basket is “dinner ready in 15 minutes with fresh-cut produce, pre-made sauces and seasoned ingredients.” Examples include buffalo turkey sandwiches and poblano pork chilli.
○ Vegetarian: $9.99/serving ($4.99 your first order). Included in this basket are “delicious vegetarian recipes packed with fresh produce, whole grains, and plant-based protein.” Examples include sweet potato and avocado bowl and one pot spiced black bean enchilada bowl.
It's up to you to pick. Both have huge discounts on the first order so try them both out before you commit. Whichever meal kit subscription you end up purchasing, you can use Butter to help manage your subscriptions.